Friday, January 7, 2011

It's like the very act of starting a blog has given me writer's block

I woke up this morning and my face was as dry as I imagine stars to be. There is a particular kind of pain that is sinuses so parched that when you breath you can feel the air rush across raw bone. I tried to cope. My plan was to sleep in, but it proved much to much to ignore. I stumbled to the bath to fill a glass with water and followed that with two more glasses. Dryness defeated, but my body just used all the water to create a cedar fever explosion in my face that I have decided was a cross between the blob and that video of the whale they exploded in Oregon. Each sneeze sent sharp pains to my inner ear and viola . . . my day began.
Now, I don't want to say I was cranky, but I'm sure I would have shamed bad Santa into silence with a glance. Nobodies pain was as great as mine. No one was allowed to be happy or jubilant or sad or tired. All emotion was a stupid farce in the face of my predicament. I might as well have said waa and flopped around on the ground. This pity party lasted about 5 minutes. Luckily I spent most of that time in the bathroom. Not too long after my celebration of boohoo began I realized that my son was moping through his whole morning torturing his mom with a whine every time he didn't get just what he wanted. I stopped to listen without intervening. We try not to rescue each other unless the other asks for help. He wasn't actually crying he was just making a crying noise any time she tried to do almost anything for him. If things did not go just the way he expected them to, he would act this way. Uuuuhhmmm, hey there universe. Good morning. Don't you think it's a little early for reflection and life lessons?  How about you eff off and come back around ten when I've had some coffee? Wicked lame.
I reassess my current situation. I add space to my pain threshold. I think about times that have been much worse and I ask myself, "Is this how you're going to act every time there are allergens in the air boyo? 'Cause you live in central Texas and you refuse to take allergy medicine. Do you really want to be this way?" The answers are obvious. I hate how easy it is to lose sight of yourself and make a string of selfishly bad decisions. I am so guilty of being reactionary and thoughtless sometimes and of making my family suffer when things aren't going my way. Children . . . little mirrors . . . so mush to teach them, so much to learn. I remind myself to be thankful that I am on the path and that I am working to better myself. Some people are stuck in a cycle of self loathing without reflection. At least I am trying to find a way to like me every day.  I gird myself with some secret mantras and head down to be a father. The smile comes so easily. Alright Universe, you get a pass this time, but I'm watching you. You hear me? I'm watching you.

No comments:

Post a Comment